Monday, October 27, 2008

Sint Maartin's Day


Last week, I sent a "thank you card" to postcrosser Lena in the Netherlands. She had made me a postcard that never reached me. She graciously sent me another one and I therefore, sent her a thank you card. It was one of my vintage Halloween cards. When she received it, she sent me a note stating how much she enjoyed the card and told me that the kids there in Haarlem celebrate something like Halloween called Sint Maartin's Day which is on November 11th every year. The children take lanterns and go from house to house asking for treats. I researched this "holiday" and here is what I found out.



The History


On the eleventh day of November, Saint Martin's Day is celebrated all over Northern Europe. Named for Saint Martin, the Fourth Century Bishop of Tours, this holiday originated in France, then spread to Germany, Scandinavia, and Eastern Europe. It celebrates the end of the agrarian year and the beginning of the harvesting. It also marks the end of the period of all souls, that begins on November 1st which Halloween, or All Saints' Day. Hence, Saint Martin's Day activities resemble those done on Halloween. People, mostly children, walk down the streets with lanterns and torches, and sing Martin's songs praising the Saint's generosity. Then kids come into the nearby houses and by singing songs, dancing, or citing poems, earn sweets, pies, or whatever the host can give them. The lanterns the participants carry have become a distinctive part of the tradition. The primary difference between age groups is seen in the lantern design, which becomes more elaborate with the age of the builder. Older youth often opt to take a flashlight and attach craft paper with cutout designs augmented with transparent colored cellophane paper making them appear like stained glass torches.





Many places in Europe, as well as here in the United States celebrate St. Martin's Day by having a parade. St. Martin Day parades are held in Philadelphia, Boston, New York and Richmond Virginia.



The German Society of Philadephia makes various types of lanterns every year and sells them as a fundraiser.





Thank you Lena for sharing your talents with me and also sharing your culture with me as well.



No comments: