Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Luzern and Lingonberries

Jochein from Luzern (Lucerne) Switzerland sent me one of my most recent postcards. Jochein says that Luzern is in the middle of the small country of Swizterland and has a nice lake and surrounded by beautiful mountains. On the day he sent this card, he said it was "a beautiful autumn day today, warm and sunny." He also wished me a happy autumn. Hope you have a happy autumn too, Jochein.



Check out the beautiful stamp that brought Jochein's card to me.







"Whooooo go there?"







An appropriate stamp for October, I think.

I think you can pretty well guess where my next postcard came from considering the above stamp was on the card. Hmmmmm.....let me guess.....Finland, right???

Yep, that's right. Sanna sent me this beautiful card of lingonberries on the forest floor. She begins by saying "this year I was lazy and bought lingonberries from market instead of going to forrest and picking them myself. Lingonberries are my favorite." She goes on to say that just yesterday she ate lingonberries with curd cheese (cottage cheese?) and cream.







I was really excited to get the postcard of the lingonberries. It brings back some great memories of my first trip to Door County, Wisconsin. Mom, Dad and I stopped off to eat at Al Johnson's Swedish Restaurant in Sister Bay. As part of the meal, they bring you a bread basket with a bowl of lingonberry preserves. That was the first time I had tried them. Loving berries, like I do, I LOVED THEM!

So, of course, I had to BUY some and take home! They were so good. I remember that I served them at a Christmas Tea I had that year with Deb and Nina Keller.

Thanks, Samma, for the card and for the memories.

No comments: