Monday, November 3, 2008

Portugese Spanish

Carlos from Jaboticabal, Brazil sent me this latest card. Since it is from Brazil, the writing must be Portugese. I knew immediately that it must be a Bible Verse the way the book, chapter and verse were written. I gathered that "Salmo" was Psalms. Sure enough. I believe it says, " The Lord's lovingkindness is from everlasting to everlasting....Psalms 103:17. Thank you for the beautiful card, Carlos and the reminder that the Lord's lovingkindness is forever.

Here are the stamps that brought Carlos's card to me. Of course, the stamp on the left is one of Brazil's occupational stamps that I have seen before. This one is of a manicurist, I believe. The stamp to the right is a stamp for "Children's Day" in Brazil which is celebrated on October 12th of each year. This particular stamp is a reminder not to forget the missing and/or exploited children of Brazil.

Oops! I almost cut off the bottom of this card in scanning it. The word is Oviedo which is the capital city of the Prinicpality of Asturias in northern Spain. Lucia sent me this card letting me know that they were in the midst of celebrating the Prince of Asturias Awards which are given annually for notable achievements in the sciences, humanities, or public affairs. Some of the winners in previous years has been Bill Gates, Woody Allen, and the National Geographic Society. Lucia said that the postcard shows the three largest churches in her town. The church in the lower right is also home to a famous Nun's momastery.



And here is the "correos" (mail or letter) stamp that brought Lucia's card to me. The man in the picture is His Royal Highness, King Juan Carlos. Thanks again, Lucia for the beautiful card from Espana.

No comments: