Monday, November 10, 2008

Lost (in) Translation?

Below is a card I received in the mail last week (yes, I am behind again!). It is from Lena from Haarlem, Netherlands. It was such a surprise to see it. I was not expecting another card from her. If you recall, back at the end of September, I received a note from Lena asking about a postcard she had sent me. I had not received it so Lena graciously sent me a second homemade card. So, I was surprised to see this. When I sent Lena a "thank you" e-mail, she wrote back saying that THIS CARD was the ORGINAL card (the LOST card) she sent me. The card is dated 24 September 08 and I received it in November! I wonder where it has been all this time. So, now I have received two cards from the creative Lena in Haalem. Thanks again, Lena.

Below also is the beautiful stamps that brought Lena's card to me. Let's see, I can figure out William of Orange on one stamp, Nederland stands for Netherlands, I imagine and the other one with pandas has something to do with nature. I just haven't figured out the other words yet. Cinnamon is my user name on Postcrossing.
Sara from Germany sent me the beautiful card below. She said "I (heart) this postcard." She also apologized that it was in German, but she did translate it for me. It says: "Pay attention to your thoughts, because they'll be words. Pay attention to your words, because they'll be action. Pay attention to your actions, because they'll be habits. Pay attention to your habits, because they'll be your character. Pay attention to your character because that's your destiny." It is from the Talmud. The Talmud is a sort of "Oral Torah" of the Jews. It is a book of rabbinical discussions on how to live the laws in the Torah. Thanks for the lovely postcard, Sara and the lovely words. I do like the beautiful postcard as well.


The stamp on the back of Sara's postcard practically matches the front part of the card. Looks like it cost one euro dollar in send this postcard from Germany (Deutschland) to here.

No comments: