Thursday, September 4, 2008

From Egypt to Europe and Beyond

Here is my most recent postcards that I have received. Life happened and I got a little behind AGAIN! I have not received any postcards for several days now, so maybe if I catch up with this blog, it will bring me luck.


This beautiful and unusual card was sent to me by Dr. M. Hossam El-dean, a surgeon in Egypt. This place is called Sakkara and is a necropolis of one of the rules of the old kingdom of Memphis. Memphis is a kingdom? I thought it was a city in Tennessee. Anyway, Dr. El-dean hopes that I can travel to Egypt some day. He thinks it would be unforgetable. You're telling me!!

Below is the beautiful fine arts stamp that was on the postcard.



AHHHH! Schoene Deutschland!


The back of the postcard says Wurzburg - Alte Bischoffstadt, am schoenen Main glegen. Something about Wurzburg being an old city on the pretty Main River. After that, I am not sure what it says. However, Verena sent this beautiful card to me. I love map cards. They are one of my favorites. Thanks, Verena.



Another beautiful postcard from Germany. This time the card comes from Hansestadt Hamburg. Hansestadt refers to Hamburg being one of the free (Frei) trading cities that were a part of the Hanseatic League. The League was established during medieval times to promote a consumer economy free from government influence and heavy taxation. (Bet you thought I didn't know anything about the Hanseatic League!). Hamburg along with Dresden are both Freistadts. See previous card from Dresden, Germany. Marlen from Hamburg sent me the card and said that Hamburg is a "fantastic place to spend a life- or only a holiday." She also said that Hamburg is the city with the most bridges worldwide (approximately 2,300). Wow, that is alot of bridges to cross! Thanks, Marlen, for the beautiful card. You can also see the stamps that were on the back of the card.


No comments: