Friday, September 12, 2008

Chios and Cathedrals

I have a number of postcards to catch up on. I knew September was going to be busy. So here are my latest additions to my collection. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do.



This beautiful postcard was sent to me by Aris and his wife, Chania from Greece. He said he is originally from Athens but he and his wife now live on the island of Crete. This postcard comes from the Greek isle of Chios. This is Aris's mother's birthplace and the place where he spent his holidays as a child. He said that the isle of Chios is famous for producing mastic, an aromatic resin that is harvested from the mastic tree. The mastic tree is related to the pistachio tree. Chios is the only place in the whole world where mastic is produced. Mastic is used in a wide variety of items from edible - cakes, cookies, bread, toothpaste, gum - to nonedible items - cosmetics, paints, varnish. Some scholars believe the Hebrew work bakha from the Valley of Baka pertains to the mastic tree and its resin.



Thanks Aris for helping me learn more about Chios, Greece and the Mastic tree. Thank you also for the beautiful stamp that came with the card.



My next postcard comes from Mia who lives in North Wales. She said that this cathedral is about 10 miles from where she lives. It is a beautiful example of Norman architecture (see what else I know!). Of course, the name of the cathedral is wonderful too as Bangor is also a city in one of my favorite states - Maine. Mia also told me that she sent me her last cathedral stamp (below) because she knew I liked churches and cathedrals. Thanks again, Mia.



No comments: